Moving to Australia

If you are leaving the UK or another overseas country and migrating to Australia, then as an expat you may have important tax planning and compliance questions to consider.

This can be a particular issue where a property in the overseas country is being retained and rented.

For those who are non-resident in the UK for tax purposes and are selling a UK residential property need to also consider their capital gains tax position in Australia and reporting obligations both in Australia and the UK.

As an Australian tax resident everyone is required to lodge an Australian tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to report your worldwide income regardless of whether this income is remitted to Australia.

The Australian tax year runs from 1st July to 30th June.

You will need to apply for a tax file number in order to lodge an Australian tax return.

If your income is below the tax free threshold ($18,200) you are still required to report your income to the ATO however, you may not need to lodge a tax return. You can report your income by lodging a CU non lodgment form to the ATO advising them that your income is below the threshold.

Moving to Australia on a permanent or temporary basis means you will be dealing with a new tax system and a non resident tax return, we GM tax can handle it for you.

Get in touch

We at GM Tax provide fixed fee quotes for advisory work and tax returns.

If you are moving to Australia and would like a fixed fee proposal from a firm of UK & Australian tax advisors that understands the issues affecting individuals arriving in Australia please complete our online enquiry via our contact us button or by calling a GM Tax office closest to you.

Contact Us


You can apply via the ATO website.

The filing deadline will vary depending of whether you are lodging the tax return yourself of via a registered tax agent:

  • Lodging yourself the filing deadline is 31 October.
  • Lodging via a tax agent the filing deadline is May the following year, if all your prior year tax returns have been lodged on time.

Book a consultation