UK Tax Living In The UK

As a UK tax resident not everyone in the UK has to lodge a UK Tax Return with HM Revenue & Customs.

The UK tax year runs from 6th April to 5th April. If you are:

  • self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and/or earned more than £1,000
  • a partner in a business partnership
  • earning greater than £150,000pa
  • foreign sourced income greater than £2,000pa
  • have a liability to UK Tax

You will need to register for self assessment and lodge a UK Tax Return. If your only source of income is from wages or pension you may not need to do a tax return unless you do have a liability to pay tax. You may need to lodge a tax return if you have any other untaxed income, such as:

  • Income from renting out a property (UK or Overseas).
  • Tips, commission and royalties.
  • Income from savings, investments and dividends.
  • Foreign/Overseas sourced income.

Selling a UK Residential Property

If you sell a UK residential property that has not been your main residence throughout you may need to report the gain online using an additional Capital Gains Tax Return. You need to report and pay any tax within 30 days of completion of the sale. This is separate and in addition to the annual UK tax return.


If you are required to lodge a UK Tax Return you will need to register for self assessment and obtain a UTR number to enable you to lodge a Tax Return.

You can register online via HMRC website or we can assist you by preparing a form SA1 registering you for Self Assessment and submitting to HMRC on your behalf.

The filing deadline will vary depending of whether you are lodging a paper or electronic tax return:

  • For a paper submission the filing deadline is 31 October.
  • For electronic submission (commercial software or accountant) the filing deadline is 31 January.

Book a consultation