GM Tax

Advisory Services - Individuals
Working in the UK

When considering an overseas secondment to the United Kingdom you must first give consideration as to what your tax implications are in the UK and the country you are leaving.

The questions to consider:

  • How long is the secondment for?
  • Is your family to travel with you, or remain behind?
  • Will I remain a tax resident in my country of residence?
  • Will I continue to remain an employee of my current employer?
  • Am I to transfer to the overseas employing office and if so, what are the terms?
  • Will I be a UK tax resident, if so am I eligible to claim split year treatment?
  • Do I qualify for the Remittance Basis of accounting?
  • Does the UK have a double taxation agreement with my country of residence?

Your tax residency is fundamental to determine who has taxing rights over your worldwide income with particular reference to the salary being offered to you.

Your residency is often a significant issue, as residents of the UK are subject to income tax on their worldwide income, unless remittance basis claimed and non residents are only taxable on their UK sourced income subject to the exempted income provisions.

It is possible to be a dual resident with the overseas country and the UK.  Should this be the case you would need to consider which country has overriding residency which is commonly referred to as treaty residency as it is the conditions set in the double taxation agreement which would determine this deciding point.

Once your residency position has been determined you can better understand who has taxing rights over your income along with your tax reporting obligations in both countries.

If during a year you either start to live or work overseas – or come to the UK from overseas to live or work in the UK – the tax year will be split into 2 parts if your circumstances meet specific criteria:

  • A UK part, for which you are charged to UK tax as a UK resident
  • An overseas part for which, for most purposes, you are charged to UK tax as a non-UK resident

The remittance basis is an alternative tax treatment available to individuals who are resident of the UK but not domiciled in the UK and have foreign income and gains.

We at GM Tax provide fixed fee quotes for advisory work and tax returns.

If you are being seconded to the UK or have recently arrived in the UK – and would like a fixed fee proposal from a firm of UK tax advisors that understands the issues affecting expats living and working overseas please complete our contact us button or by calling a GM Tax office closest to you.

GM Tax also offers the following services:

  • Tax planning advice and guidance with regards to your residency status and you’re your domicile status in the context of Inheritance Tax (IHT) planning.
  • Preparation of tax returns, with all returns electronically lodged where possible.
  • Advice on the tax position where a property is being let while a taxpayer is living overseas.
  • Assisting departing temporary residents with the recovery of superannuation monies under Australia’s DASP arrangements
  • Assistance to ensure that income is correctly taxed and not taxed twice, or double taxed.
  • This last point is particularly relevant to those who have income or capital gains which may also be subject to tax in the country in which the taxpayer is now resident.